Tuesday, May 17, 2011

2010-2011 School Year Reflection

Some quotes from the school year...
"Them stairs ain't no joke!" - exasperated student after coming up the stairs to my class DAILY.

(During a meeting, discussing a stage being set up on a Sunday)
Me: "Sunday? But that's the Lord's Day!"
Higher Up: "M, we are living in the New Testament. Keeping the Sabbath was in the Old Testament."

"FEMA's on it!"

"Mlle, you can't really dance."
(Me)"You should have seen me at prom, _________."
"[Other student], was Mlle dancing at the prom?"
(other student) "Man, you should have seen her! She was goin' ham!"

Some slang from this year:
"On _____" - something you're swearing on, usually your mom or a deity of sorts.
"bruh" - short for brother, and no one says "bro" anymore except frat bros.
"We straight." - It means you are clear with someone else, they are not holding anything against you.
"Hey guh!" - A greeting to anyone of the female persuasion. Similar to "What up, guh!"
"goin' ham" - to go crazy. Can be in class or outside of school. Usually involves either physical altercation or illegal substances or just plain crazyness.
For more words, look up at urbandictionary.com.


One thing that touched my heart this year was seeing how a student matured in one year. They really used to get on my nerves but I can tell they have grown up since I first had them in Fall 2009.

Another thing that touched my heart was one student who I asked about ADHD in so many words. They told me a week later how no one else had ever asked them about it and it meant something to them. Today, they told me how they had seen a doctor and had, in fact, been diagnosed with ADHD and was not going to take the medication. I tried to explain how it would be a journey in itself to find the right amount and drug but that they should try it.

I am SO ready for the school year to be over! 6 MORE DAYS!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How about "You da cross." I get that one a lot.

Last week, I had a student tell me I needed to indicate oxidation number with "ramen noodles"...instead of Roman numerals!

Something new every day!