This semester, I've stated, just like others, that my goal as a teacher is to prepare my students for real-life, relevant conversation with a francophone - how to ask for directions, order food, and get around as best a beginner could. This semester, however, I am not being governed by the textbook when I create lesson plans. The book has normally guided my curriculum because that's what I've done in the past in accordance with the other French program in my system. I remember my first semester how one student complained that all we do is use the textbook. Since that first fall semester, I've realized how technology must be integrated into the class to enhance and create an environment of application of the language. That first semester, I didn't even know one of my schools had another computer lab besides the library!
Thankfully, I've learned more and more while I've been teaching. For example, one of my schools has a laptop cart which I signed up for tomorrow. I've been giving my kids Edmodo orientation for them to get used to the format. I'm astounded how many kids cannot read the instructions on the paper in front of them and/or figure out how to use something that seems so elementary to me. But most of my kids use myspace, facebook and know proxy websites in order to update their facebook status while in school, leaving us open to attacks, but at least they got technology to work for them.
Today, in all of my classes, I used a powerpoint to review the basics - greetings, asking age and responding, asking how you are and responding, asking names and responding, and farewells. I told the students they were not required to take notes but they were required to turn in a scripted dialogue including all material covered at the end of the period. In each class, most of the students voluntarily took notes. That surprised me. And I'm glad none of them asked yet if they'd receive a grade for it. They don't know they will receive a quiz grade for the dialogue, but I assured them that I don't expect them to be a native speaker overnight. I forget how fragile high school kids are - they put up a front and expect to be treated badly by teachers who run a boot camp rather than a classroom. I want to inspire my kids. I want innovation, newness and spontaneous conversation in the target language. I want them to be comfortable with using technology. I wish every kid had access to a computer outside of class. I wish they all went home to families that loved them as they needed, even as the teenagers that they are. But I can do my best to look past what I see and accept what I've been given. So far, so good this semester. Nice mix of freshmen through seniors. And only 57 days until Spring Break!
*For planning purposes, I like to map out the semester on paper day by day, plan traditional assessments accordingly and then work in performance assessment as possible - a weather glog here, a recorded skit there, an actual (gasp!) poster for a family presentation, and, of course, our semi-annual crêpetion before the break. Any ideas for performance assessments or lessons would be welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment