Often, I think Christians think we can do something to add to our faith, to add to our value, to add to our salvation, really. But we can't. We bring nothing to the table. We are invited to the banquet purely out of His love, grace and mercy for us. It's nothing we do of ourselves, as Ephesians 2:8-10, my favorite verses, tell us.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
I rarely walk in His good works. I struggle against them. I fight against God to ponder other works, good or not good. I stress about the walk. I stress about the "What if?"s. I try to think of all possible contingency plans, of all possible solutions, outcomes, and problems along the way. That is what I am naturally programmed to do.
But He calls us to a better way. A way of rest, peace, comfort, hope, joy...all of those good things I truly want in the deepest parts of my heart. I want to rest. I don't want to fight against His sovereignty, goodness and faithfulness anymore. I want His good works that He prepared beforehand that I should walk in them.
A friend posted a sweet video of her daughter skipping home from church yesterday in their new town. When is the last time I skipped in these good works? Because I have been trying to claw my way back to my good works and my agenda, not His. I want to control. I want to manipulate. I want to know the outcome before I ever begin the journey.
Seeing Ella skipping home reminded me that we are called to rest in King Jesus and His will for our lives. People always say the safest place to be is in the center of His will. But what if you stress about where that center is, and if the center would be better if God would just do what you want Him to do.
Surrender is a daily choice. I can either fight God for what I think I want or surrender to what He knows I need. Someone said (probably Tim Keller) the worst thing that can happen is God giving us what we ask for out of the depravity of our hearts, like in Romans 1.
Lord, help me cling to these words to remind me of Your goodness and faithfulness in the times when I want to fight You the most.
All that You ask, Your grace will provide. "Grace Upon Grace"
In the harvest feast or the fallow ground, My certain hope is in Jesus found,
My lot, my cup, my portion sure, Whatever comes, we shall endure,
Whatever comes, we shall endure. "In Feast or In Fallow"
God forbid that I should glory, Save in Christ the Son of God.
Him who sought me Him who bought me,
Him who washed me in his blood.
All the love of God is here
A love that casteth out all fear. "I Glory in Christ"
The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne,
But faith can answer that demand
By pleading what my Lord has done.
No more my God,
No more my God,
No more my God, I boast no more. "I Boast No More"
Oh, sweet mercy,
Your love letter bleeds my pride,
Oh, sweet mercy,
How I sold all you gave,
Other lovers could not save me,
You are kind and fierce and will not leave me to die. "Sweet Sorrow"
All songs are sung by Sandra McCracken.
No comments:
Post a Comment