I have been learning a LOT lately in the difference between submission and surrender.
Even today, in watching Astérix et Obélix contre César, the Gauls don't want to surrender to Caesar. They will submit in some ways, but total surrender, no way. They still want their own way and to do what they want.
Submission gives in or compromises.
Surrender recognizes there is no way to win, so you admit your inability to the opposition.
Submission holds a grudge.
Surrender frees itself to be open to a new way of doing something.
Submission compartmentalizes learned behavior.
Surrender reprograms the behaviors completely.
Submission lets us think we play some part in all of this.
Surrender helps us realize we bring nothing to the table and it is only by His grace that we can come to the table.
Surrender seems like a daily practice for me right now.
Surrender to not knowing the future.
Surrender to what I thought would be the future.
Surrender to waiting. Surrender to healing. Surrender to what could be. Surrender to His better plan than the one I had.
It's so much easier to blog about than to actually practice.
What does practical, everyday surrender look like?
Being grateful for the little things.
Resting in His sovereignty.
Breathing. Really breathing. Deep breaths that refresh, not the shallow ones I have tried to calm myself down with in the past.
And letting go of all I am holding onto that is not Him. Because that is a lot of stuff.
It's funny how easily we grab a hold of, hold tight to, and desperately cling to things that are not Him. It's like it's not in our nature to run to Jesus with all our problems. We want to fix them. We want to be Marthas and submit our problems to Jesus. We think of Him redeeming us as a last resort, not as the best approach or even the first response in times of tragedy or sorrow.
I am learning to be a Mary.
Marys surrender. Marthas do not.
Marys rest at Jesus's feet. Marthas go about the house, nervously cleaning and wondering what to feed Jesus and all of His disciples. (The Man had twelve friends who usually traveled with Him. Do you not think that was a concern for anyone who hosted Him?!?)
So I am trying to rest. But it is so easy to run back to submission rather than surrender. To think I know best. To think I can fix myself.
I can't. Only Jesus can. And He delights in doing so.
He is the Blessed Controller of All Things (1st Timothy 6:15) . Lord, help me surrender to that truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment